- The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 10, 2012

George Zimmerman has launched a website to solicit support and donations, speaking out for the first time since his February shooting of an unarmed black teenager in Florida ignited a national outcry on race and justice.

Mr. Zimmerman, who has claimed self-defense in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, says he decided to create a website called “The Real George Zimmerman” after learning that other websites had been created to raise money for his legal defense.

“I cannot attest to the validity of these other websites as I have not received any funds collected, intended to support my family and I through this trying, tragic time,” says Mr. Zimmerman in a statement on the website.

The website includes a PayPal account on which supporters can donate to help pay for his living and legal expenses.

“I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage,” Mr. Zimmerman said. “As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life. This website’s sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries.”

The Associated Press confirmed the authenticity of the website through Zimmerman attorney Craig Sonner.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide