- Associated Press - Saturday, April 21, 2012

CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro says he is pleased prosecutors have decided not to file charges against him over an alleged sexual assault.

Castro said before Saturday’s game against the Cincinnati Reds that he’s “happy it’s over.” He says the allegations made it tough to play every day.

Cook County prosecutors said Friday they would not file charges.

State’s attorney spokeswoman Sally Daly said police and prosecutors reviewing the case found insufficient evidence to charge the 21-year-old player. His attorneys have said the allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman last fall are baseless.

Castro was chosen for the All-Star team last year in his first full major league season when he batted .307 and led the National League with 207 hits.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide