- The Washington Times - Monday, April 30, 2012

A District Heights man accused of fatally stabbing his pregnant girlfriend will undergo a mental-competency evaluation after his mother pleaded for the court’s help Monday during a hearing in Prince George’s County District Court.

Nathan Cedric Rogers was charged Friday with first-degree murder in the death of 23-year-old Jasmine Nichelle Moss and on Monday was ordered held without bond pending his trial.

“Given an opportunity, we will do everything that we can to enlist the help that he needs, because he does,” Rogers‘ mother said in between sobs at his bond-review hearing. “There is obviously something wrong with my son.”

Prosecutors said Rogers, 22, killed the woman pregnant with his child at his District Heights house. He was serving a home-detention sentence for a 2010 assault at the time.

“We’re not sure what was in Mr. Rogers‘ mind,” county State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks said.

A mental-competency hearing is scheduled for May 24.

On Friday, Ms. Moss was found dead and covered with a tarp in the back seat of her father’s car, parked just around the block from Rogers‘ home, according to court documents filed in the case. Her family told investigators she was using the car before she was found dead, and prosecutors said she had gone to visit Rogers at his home.

Families of both Ms. Moss and Rogers were in court Monday.

“What occurred is not a representation of this young man or how he was raised,” Rogers‘ mother told the court.

She declined afterward to speak further about her son.

Rogers, who appeared on a closed-circuit television in the courtroom, said nothing during the hearing, but touched his hand to his chest and then his lips as to blow a kiss to his family before moving out of sight.

At the time of Ms. Moss‘ death, Rogers was serving an 18-month sentence of home detention for a 2010 attack on a different girlfriend’s stepfather. Court documents from that case state that Rogers beat the man several times in the head with a metal club.

Per his sentence, Rogers was not to make unauthorized trips away from his home, in the 6900 block of Halleck Street. He was also required to provide documentation of all times he left the home, according to court documents filed in that case.

Prosecutors could not say Monday whether Rogers drove the car where Ms. Moss‘ body was found. A neighbor called police to investigate after seeing a man park the car Friday morning in the 7100 block of Mason Street and then walk away, leaving it unlocked, according to court documents.

Family members of Ms. Moss, of Oxon Hill, spoke of their loss outside the Upper Marlboro courthouse.

Mr. Rogers could have walked away from the relationship and never had to interact with Jasmine again,” said her cousin, Anthony Brown.

Her father, Carl Strong, said the family was looking forward to the birth of Moss‘ child, his first grandchild. He did not confirm how far along her pregnancy had been at the time of her death.

“She’s a loving daughter. We will never have the opportunity to see her smile again,” Mr. Strong said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide