- The Washington Times - Friday, August 3, 2012

For the second time in a week, a Prince George’s County officer is facing criminal charges, police said Friday.

The filing of second-degree assault and misconduct charges against the officer is a full reversal from the initial picture painted of a February incident during which the officer fired his weapon while struggling with a Cottage City man.

Cpl. Donald Taylor initially told investigators he fired at 19-year-old Ryan Dorm when the man reached for his gun during a struggle that ensued after he confronted Mr. Dorm and another man, believing they had robbed a Brentwood gas station. As police have previously said, surveillance video that captured the altercation told a different story.

Cpl. Taylor now faces four counts of misconduct in office, one count of second-degree assault, and three counts of making false statements to a police officer, according to Maryland court records. No attorney was listed as representing him in court records Friday.

Earlier this year prosecutors dropped all charges filed against Mr. Dorm that stemmed the incident. He has since filed a $10 million lawsuit against the police department and Cpl. Taylor.

Jimmy Bell, Mr. Dorm’s attorney, said the series of events captured on tape show two officers approaching Mr. Dorm from behind. Cpl. Taylor struck Mr. Dorm in the head with his gun, causing his gun to fire, and then beat and kicked him, Mr. Bell said.

“That officer tried to cover up what he did and he lied,” Mr. Bell said. “We’re hopeful that they’re going to actually go through with this and make sure this officer does some jail time.”

Mr. Dorm was held in jail for more than three months while police investigated the incident.

The charge follows the July 27 announcement that a different officer had been charged with first- and second-degree assault and misconduct in office charges stemming from an interaction with a teenager last year.

Cpl. Rickie Adey, a 10-year department veteran, is accused of holding his gun to the head of a 13-year-old boy and threatening him after chasing a group of people the officer came upon while investigating a sound of gunshots.

Just two days before his charges, the department praised Cpl. Adey as a hero who helped evacuate several residents and their pets from a burning apartment building.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide