- Associated Press - Thursday, August 30, 2012

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A 7-year-old Texas boy who died during a Southern California vacation was killed by flesh-eating bacteria.

The San Diego County medical examiner’s office says Tevita Alatini died on July 10 after the infection spread to muscle tissue. The office didn’t say how he might have contracted the infection.

Authorities say the boy also had anemia caused by an autoimmune condition and that contributed to his death.

Tevita was hospitalized only days after he and his family arrived in San Diego County last month from Spring, Texas. His uncle, Sione Niko, told the North County Times that the boy became increasingly sick and his parents noticed a red spot under his arm.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide