- The Washington Times - Monday, December 3, 2012

No students or staff were injured in a fire at a Seabrook elementary school Monday morning, officials said.

Thirty-five firefighters responded to the one-story Gaywood Elementary School at 9:15 a.m. for reports of smoke in the roof above the boiler room, said Mark Brady, Prince George’s County fire department spokesman. The school is located at 6701 97th Ave. in Seabrook.

All students were evacuated to nearby DuVal High School to complete their school day, Mr. Brady said.

A boiler malfunction caused the ceiling to overheat.

“The heat was so hot in the exhaust pipe, it exited the roof area and the insulation inside the ceiling ignited,” Mr. Brady said.

Firefighters removed a portion of the roof above the boiler to extinguish the fire, he said. By 9:49 a.m. the fire had been extinguished and utilities turned off, according to Mr. Brady.

According to the department’s news blog, damage was estimated at $5,000.

Mr. Brady said he is uncertain whether Gaywood Elementary will be open on Tuesday.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide