- The Washington Times - Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Prince George’s County police officer accused of stealing guns seized as evidence and selling them back on the street will face a new trial in July.

A jury hearing the case against Cpl. Juan D. Carter was unable to reach a unanimous verdict and the judge declared a mistrial last week, prosecutors said.

Cpl. Carter, who faces charges of misconduct in office and theft, will return to Prince George’s County Circuit Court July 23 for a new trial.

During the initial trial, prosecutors said Cpl. Carter took weapons seized by the state gun task force he was a part of and resold them. His defense attorney said the missing guns were the result of a disorganized task force and said prosecutors were out to make him the fall guy.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide