SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Bud Selig said after his last contract that he would retire from baseball.
Three years later, he’s about to to see his term as commissioner get extended yet again.
Baseball’s owners are expected to offer Selig a two-year extension during meetings at Sanctuary Resort, a deal that would keep him in office until after he turns 80. The offer could come on Thursday.
Owners also are expected to approve completion of the sale of the San Diego Padres from John Moores to Jeff Moorad and discuss plans to use the new wild-card playoff format this year. A five-year labor contract reached in November called for one more wild card team from each league, with a decision by March on whether to start this year.
Larkin feted in Cincinnati following Hall election
CINCINNATI — Spending his entire 19-year career with his hometown team makes election to the Hall of Fame even more special for Barry Larkin.
Speaking Wednesday at Great American Ball Park, his home field for the last two years of his career, Larkin recalled almost leaving the Reds for the New York Mets in 2000. But the proposed trade fell through when the Mets refused to give him a three-year contract extension.
Larkin considered playing for St. Louis and Washington in 2005 but couldn’t leave.
“I didn’t feel like I could give my heart and soul to another organization,” Larkin said.
Members of the Reds’ organization, former players and politicians were on hand to welcome the franchise’s newest Hall of Famer. Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory presented Larkin with a copy of resolution congratulating him that was approved Wednesday by the city council. Hamilton County commissioner Greg Hartmann added praise.
“At a time when role models are few and far between, Barry Larkin stepped up for 19 years” Hartmann said.
Around the league
• DODGERS: A bankruptcy judge in Delaware on Wednesday approved a settlement between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Fox Sports that clears the way for the sale of the team.
The settlement, reached late Tuesday and quickly approved at a brief court hearing Wednesday morning, ends a contentious legal battle between the ball club and Fox. Judge Kevin Gross quickly signed off on the settlement, saying it was in the best interest of all parties in the Dodgers bankruptcy case.
• GIANTS: Ryan Vogelsong agreed to a two-year contract worth approximately $8.3 million after he became one of the team’s most reliable starters and an unlikely All-Star last season.
• REDS: Free-agent closer Ryan Madson and Cincinnati reached an oral agreement on a one-year, $8.5 million contract, a person familiar with the deal told the Associated Press. Madson saved 32 games in 34 chances last year for NL East champion Philadelphia.
• METS: Outfielder Scott Hairston finalized a one-year, $1.1 million contract. The 31-year-old hit .235 with seven homers and 24 RBI in 132 at-bats last season.
• ANGELS: Injured first baseman Kendrys Morales agreed to a one-year contract worth $2,975,000, avoiding salary arbitration. Morales hasn’t played since breaking his left ankle while jumping on home plate to celebrate a game-ending grand slam May 29, 2010. His deal matches last year’s contract and includes the same $50,000 bonus for 550 plate appearances.
• ASTROS: Outfielder Fernando Martinez has been claimed by Houston off waivers from the New York Mets. Martinez hit .227 (5 for 22) for the Mets last season with one home run - at Houston against Bud Morris on May 13.
Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC.