- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 8, 2012

GUNTOWN, Miss. — The net widened in the case of a Mississippi man suspected of killing a Tennessee woman and her teenage daughter and fleeing with her two younger girls.

On Tuesday, authorities charged man’s wife and mother in connection with the abduction.

As an intense manhunt for Adam Mayes and the two young girls continued, his wife, Teresa Mayes, and mother, Mary Mayes, were arraigned in a Hardeman County, Tenn., courtroom.

Teresa Mayes, 30, was charged with especially aggravated kidnapping and Mary Mayes, 65, was charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping.

Teresa Mayes told investigators she drove Jo Ann Bain and her daughters from Hardeman County, where they lived, to Union County, Miss., where Adam and Teresa Mayes lived with his parents, according to an affidavit filed in court.

Bond was set at $500,000 for Teresa Mayes and $300,000 for Mary Mayes.

The bodies of Jo Ann Bain, 31, and 14-year-old Adrienne Bain were found last week behind the mobile home in northern Mississippi where the Mayes family lived. The affidavit provides the first clue that the victims may have been killed soon after they were abducted. It says Mr. Mayes‘ wife and mother saw him digging a hole in the yard on April 27 or soon after.

Alexandria Bain, 12, and Kyliyah Bain, 8, were still missing, and neighbors were planning a candlelight vigil for the girls Tuesday evening.

The FBI said authorities are hopeful the two are still alive, but did not elaborate Tuesday. The affidavit said that some items belonging to the two younger girls had been found at a trailer rented by Mr. Mayes in another part of Union County.

Authorities have said that Mr. Mayes, 35, was a family friend who was staying with the Bains on April 27, the day the mother and children disappeared.

In an interview with the Associated Press on Tuesday, Teresa Mayes‘ sister, Bobbi Booth, said her sister told her last week that she knew about the killings, but Mrs. Booth said she thought Teresa Mayes may have been too scared to call the police.

Teresa started to call, text and Facebook constantly on Thursday,” Mrs. Booth said.

Mrs. Booth told Teresa Mayes to call the police and was assured that she had, but by Saturday Mrs. Booth had become suspicious about that claim and called police herself.

“I told them exactly what she had told me: Who the bodies were, where they could be dug from,” she said.

As it turned out, investigators had begun digging in the Mayes’ backyard the previous day.

Mrs. Bain’s husband, Gary Bain, last saw his wife and daughters when he woke up briefly early April 27. By the time he got up, they were gone, but he did not know they were missing until after the girls failed to come home from school.

Mr. Mayes and Mr. Bain, who once had been married to sisters, had been planning to drive some of the family’s belongings to Arizona the next day because the family was moving there. Before he fled, Mr. Mayes admitted to authorities that he was the last person to see Mrs. Bain and her daughters before they disappeared, according to the affidavit.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide