- The Washington Times - Monday, October 8, 2012

One week after a Fairfax County teenager went missing, a body was found off a park trail close to where the high school student’s car was parked.

Fairfax County police spokesman Eddy Azcarate said he could not confirm the body was that of 17-year-old Bryan Glenn, but the person who found it was a volunteer from a search party organized to find the missing W.T. Woodson High School student, and police had been in contact with the young man’s parents.

“We have found a body, but that’s about all I can confirm right now,” Mr. Azcarate said.

Fairfax County police posted on its Twitter feed that “remains of a male were found in deep woods” in Thaiss Park, but they were unable to confirm the circumstances of the death. An earlier post, later retracted, stated it was “apparent suicide.”

Police said the body was found at about 1:50 p.m., roughly a half-mile into the park and past the point where officers had been searching during the past week.

Police issued an alert for the missing student Oct. 3, posting a photograph of the dark-haired boy wearing a bright yellow T-shirt and seated at a dining table.

Officers spent days searching the park where the teen’s car was parked.

“We conducted a pretty thorough search the past week,” Mr. Azcarate said. “Bloodhounds were out here, we had the helicopter out several times and used citizen assistance and officer searches.”

The search party volunteer that found the body came from a group organized on Facebook called “Find Bryan Glenn.” The group, which boasts more than 2,800 members, posted a notice about the search, which was set to begin at about 10:30 a.m. Monday.

Searchers were advised by poster board at the site that Bryan was last seen wearing dark blue jeans and a black polo shirt and was carrying a green fabric wallet among other personal possessions.

Mr. Azcarate said he could not confirm the body found on Monday was dressed in similar clothing, nor whether it showed signs of foul play or trauma.

Detectives were on their way into the park Monday afternoon, Mr. Azcarate said. They planned to document where and how the body was found, as well as its identification. If necessarily, he added, the body would be identified by the medical examiner, who would also be able to determine the cause and manner of death.

Despite unconfirmed reports that the body was the missing student, friends and well-wishers flooded the Facebook group with prayers and memories about a young man described as “a good guy to everyone, a good friend, and an even better brother.”

A former cross country teammate said she was a senior when Bryan was a freshman, and posted on the group’s Facebook page that she remembered the young man as “one of those guys who always kept you laughing.”

“I’m fortunate for the time I got to know him,” Katie Haase wrote. “The world really is a much dimmer place without him.”



Click to Read More

Click to Hide