- The Washington Times - Monday, June 10, 2013

Prosecutors are trying to decide whether to seek the death penalty for Ariel Castro, the Cleveland man who faces 329 separate counts in the kidnapping of three Ohio women.

The women — Amanda Berry, Georgina “Gina” DeJesus and Michelle Knight — were freed last month, after nearly a decade in captivity. Mr. Castro, 52, was indicted in their kidnappings on Friday and faces arraignment this week, CNN reported.

He’s charged with 139 counts of rape, 177 counts of kidnapping, seven counts of gross sexual imposition, three of felonious assault and one of possession of criminal tools, Cuyahoga County prosecutor Timothy McGinty said in a statement reported by CNN.

One count of murder is due to Mr. Castro’s alleged role in unlawfully terminating a pregnancy of one of his captors, CNN reported.

The capital review committee for the prosecution will decide soon whether or not to pursue the death penalty.

“[The] indictments represent a first major step in the criminal justice process,” Mr. McGinty said. “Our investigation continues, and we will present our findings to the grand jury.”


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide