- The Washington Times - Sunday, March 17, 2013

The 19-year-old man charged in connection with a drive-by shooting that injured 13 people had circled the Northwest apartment complex that was fired upon in a car for nearly an hour before the early morning shooting, a fact investigators learned when they reviewed the movements recorded on his court-ordered electronic ankle bracelet.

Court documents revealing the details were filed on Saturday when Craig Steven Wilson, of Southeast, was arraigned in D.C. Superior Court. Mr. Wilson turned himself in Friday to the District’s Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency, the same agency that issued the Global Positioning System tracking device he was wearing at the time of the March 11 shooting.

Neither police officials nor the affidavit filed for Mr. Wilson’s arrest have given any inclination about the motive in the shooting, which injured seven men and six women as they stood outside of Tyler House, a 284-unit affordable housing complex at the corner of the busy intersection of New York Avenue and North Capitol Street.

However the court documents indicate that at least two guns were used to fire shots at the crowd from two cars that were captured on surveillance footage zooming past Tyler House when the shooting occurred. Police are still searching for another man they’ve deemed a “person of interest” in the case — 19-year-old Andrew Davon Allen.

The surveillance video shows “repeated muzzle flash coming from the passenger sides of both vehicles” and shell casings from two 9 mm handguns were found in the street, the court documents state.

Casings from two .40 caliber handguns were also found in the area, though they were recovered from along the sidewalk, a possible indication that someone fired back at the cars.

Several of those injured in the shooting suffered graze wounds from the gunfire. One person remains in critical condition and the criminal complaint filed against Mr. Wilson only lists a single complainant.

The Metropolitan Police Department has recovered both cars used in the shooting, one of which was registered to Mr. Wilson. The other car belonged to a person who had let an unnamed relative, who was reported to be a close friend of Mr. Wilson, use it the night of the shootings. By the time police found that car, it had been set on fire and destroyed in Southeast D.C.

An public defender listed as representing Mr. Wilson in court records could not be reached for comment over the weekend and a number could not be located for family members.

About two hours before the shooting, Mr. Wilson’s GPS ankle bracelet tracked him to the unit block of Patterson Street in Northeast D.C., the same location as the nightclub Fur, which several of the shooting victims had visited that night, according to the court documents.

A few minutes after 1 a.m. Mr. Wilson left the area of the club, which is located across the street from Tyler House, and the GPS indicated he circled the block where Tyler House is located in a vehicle. At the approximate time of the shooting, 2:08 a.m., Mr. Wilson’s GPS indicated he was around the block from Tyler House, at First and New York Avenue Northwest. But then he moved quickly away from the area, his GPS registering at the entrance to the Interstate 395 tunnel at 2:10 a.m. and later in Southeast D.C. and Temple Hills.

As of March 13, CSOSA officials said Mr. Wilson had removed his GPS bracelet by cutting it off.

Mr. Wilson, who was on probation for receiving stolen property at the time of the shooting, is charged with assault with intent to kill. He was ordered held without bond and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on April 4.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide