- The Washington Times - Monday, March 18, 2013

The District employee at the center of a union leadership dispute has a decadeslong court history — including criminal charges — that possibly clouds his attempt to take over a 200-member youth-corrections officers’ union, records show.

Since January 2012, Cedric W. Crawley, a program analyst at the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services, has been trying to orchestrate an executive board vote to unseat Takisha Brown as head of the Fraternal Order of Police Labor Committee that represents DYRS employees.

Last week, a D.C. Superior Court judge prevented city officials, at least temporarily, from designating Mr. Crawley as head of the police labor committee, reversing decisions by a D.C. employee-review board official and the D.C. official in charge of citywide labor-management relations.

A lawsuit in D.C. Superior Court also seeks to force city officials to remove Mr. Crawley from the union-eligible position from which he has orchestrated the takeover attempt as president of the committee’s executive board.

Yet while the dispute is being heard in court, Mr. Crawley’s fitness to lead the union, whose members deal with some of the city’s most troubled and violent youth, has not been examined.

Mr. Crawley’s criminal charges date to 1991. That year, he was charged in Baltimore County District Court with failure to disclose a material fact in connection with unemployment benefits, according to the Maryland courts website. He was given probation and forced to pay $588 in restitution, records show.

In 1994, while employed at Oak Hill Youth Detention Center, the facility that once housed youth committed to DYRS, he was charged with forgery and attempting to pass a forged document with intent to defraud. On a motion by the Maryland state’s attorney, a Baltimore County judge indefinitely postponed trial of the charge, records show.

In 2011, Mr. Crawley was charged with harassment in a personal dispute. Court records show that Gwynn Oak, Md. resident Melanie Moore accused him of harassing her with emails at home and at work, even after multiple written requests to relent by her and her attorney. “He indicated that he would continue to create different email addresses/accounts until I provided a personal address, which he already had/has,” Ms. Moore wrote in an affidavit.

Trial on that charge also was postponed indefinitely, records show.

Mr. Crawley had no comment on his court history and referred questions to his attorney, Ardra O’Neal, who was fired by Ms. Brown as the labor committee’s attorney shortly before Mr. Crawley tried to take it over. Ms. O’Neal did not respond to a request for comment.

Over the years Mr. Crawley also has been involved with civil litigation in connection with financial and domestic issues. In 2005, he and his then-wife were sued for ejectment along with an unnamed tenant of a Baltimore city property, records show. That case was settled three months later.

In 2007, an Anne Arundel County District Court judge issued a peace order that required Mr. Crawley to stop abusing, contacting or entering the residence of an unnamed complainant. That case was dismissed when the complainant failed to appear in court, records show.

Also in 2007, Mr. Crawley forced his ex-wife to go to court to enforce a property settlement and divorce agreement, Baltimore County Circuit Court records show.

A credit card company complaint against Mr. Crawley for $15,813 was dismissed in Baltimore County District Court in 2012 when the plaintiffs failed to appear in court.

In January, a Baltimore County judge ordered Mr. Crawley to reimburse the mother of his children for court costs after being ordered in 2011 to pay child support. “He wants to spend time with his children,” his attorney Zachery Groves explained, “but baby-mama is making it as difficult as possible.”



Click to Read More

Click to Hide