- The Washington Times - Saturday, May 11, 2013

Journalists were evacuated from the White House Saturday morning when smoke from a malfunctioning electrical transformer set off an alarm, but the First Family was not affected.

Reporters and photographers were evacuated from the press briefing area connected to the West Wing shortly after 7 a.m. due to the odor of smoke.

A White House official said the transformer problem was “quickly resolved” and that electricity and personnel access returned to normal by 9 a.m.

The official said President Obama and his family weren’t affected. The First Family’s residence is in the main portion of the White House, while the electrical malfunction was in the West Wing.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide