- The Washington Times - Wednesday, May 8, 2013

D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier has ordered the closing of a Northeast nightclub where a man was stabbed multiple times this week.

Fur Nightclub will remain closed for at least 96 hours. Pending a decision by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, it could be allowed to reopen Friday evening. It’s the second time in two months the club has come under scrutiny following an outbreak of violence.

The mega-club, which can hold 3,000 people, was shuttered Monday after a man was beaten and stabbed in the chest while inside. A fight broke out around 2 a.m. as the club was closing for the night, Chief Lanier wrote in a letter to the ABC Board requesting that the club be closed for 96 hours. A group of men jumped a 19-year-old man and during the fight someone stabbed him with a knife. Club employees helped the man, applying pressure to his wounds until he could be transported to a hospital, Chief Lanier said. He was listed in stable condition.

Inside the club, police recovered a black folding knife and investigators are reviewing surveillance footage.

An Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration report on the incident at Fur was not available Wednesday, nor were details about any violations or additional sanctions the club could face.

Fur’s general manager did not return a phone call seeking comment.

“This is the fourth time Fur has been shut down,” said D.C. Council member Tommy Wells, Ward 6 Democrat who represents the area where the club is located. “It calls into question their ability to manage a safe business.”

In March, a drive-by shooting injured 13 people outside of an affordable housing complex located on North Capitol Street, about two blocks from Fur. Police determined that several of the victims and at least one of the shooters were patrons of Fur that night, but investigators have never directly linked the shooting to anything that occurred inside the club. No violations or closures resulted from the March 11 shooting. Thus far only one suspect, 19-year-old Craig Wilson, has been arrested in connection with the shooting. He is due in court Friday.

Dating back to the club’s opening in 2006, ABRA has investigated more than 100 incidents from overcrowding to assaults. Fur was closed for one other stabbing that occurred in 2011, according to ABRA’s investigative reports. A closure in 2007 was the result of operating after hours and a closure last year stemmed from a violation of the club’s voluntary agreement.

Fur has been expected to close permanently at some point, after the property was purchased last year by a company that plans to build a 300-unit apartment complex in its place.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide