- Associated Press - Sunday, November 3, 2013

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — Shots fired on homecoming weekend at North Carolina A&TState University prompted a brief campus lockdown after a 21-year-old man was wounded by a bullet fired from a “considerable distance,” authorities said.

The Greensboro Police Department said in overnight statements that “one or more” suspects fired shots in a grassy area near McCain Hall on campus about 10 p.m. Saturday and one of the rounds struck 21-year-old Devine Eatmon. Authorities said they were seeking four suspects believed armed with handguns.

Mr. Eatmon appeared to have serious but non-life-threatening wounds when he was found on a sidewalk and taken by paramedics to a hospital, according to the statement released by police Lt. J.L. Raines.

The statement didn’t elaborate on just how far Mr. Eatmon was from where the round was fired that hit him or whether anyone had been deliberately targeted.

Police issued a subsequent statement early Sunday saying they had given an incorrect spelling of Mr. Eatmon’s first and last names hours earlier and said the error was due to limited information available to them at the time.

Greensboro and campus police initially responded to the site, and a lockdown was ordered. The university’s website announced about an hour later that the lockdown had been lifted but earlier had encouraged students “for increased safety” to stay indoors after it was over.

The university tweeted on its website that campus police subsequently had gone on “visible” and “high alert.”

Taylor Brunner was quoted by The News-Record newspaper as saying she heard several shots.

“The shooting started. I turned around and a lot of people were running,” said Ms. Brunner, described as a freshman student by the paper.

Samantha Hargrove, a university spokeswoman, told the paper that Mr. Eatmon was taken to Moses Cone Hospital. Ms. Hargrove didn’t immediately return email and telephone messages seeking comment.

A hospital dispatcher, contacted by The Associated Press, had no information to release.

The university’s website said a week of events for students and alumni led up to a homecoming parade, football game and homecoming concert earlier Saturday.

Traffic was rerouted in the immediate area after the shooting, police said. News photographs later showed law enforcement officers standing around a site cordoned off by yellow tape.




Click to Read More

Click to Hide