- The Washington Times - Tuesday, September 24, 2013

South Korea turned down a bid on Tuesday from Boeing Co. to build the country 60 new fighter jets, suggesting the company’s technology on its proffered planes was old and out-of-date.

For Boeing, the rejection means a loss of $7.7 billion in new business — a slap in the face, given that no other companies were currently taking place in the bidding.

Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok said the country is going to delay its bidding process, The Associated Press reported.

Boeing tried to sell its F-15 Silent Eagle to South Korea. But critics in the country said the model is no longer top-of-the-line in terms of stealth technology, and it wouldn’t suit for detecting and staving off nuclear threats.

Lockheed Martin and EAD had previously competed for the contract. But the price for their crafts was deemed too expensive, AP reported.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide