- Associated Press - Monday, April 14, 2014

ROCHESTER, Minn. (AP) - A Rochester bar employee is hospitalized after being overcome by carbon dioxide from the restaurant’s pop machine.

Authorities say 63-year-old Jerry Johnson was poisoned by the gas while working Monday morning at Rooster’s Barn and Grill.

Deputy Fire Chief Vance Swisher tells KTTC-TV (https://bit.ly/1m3KxMi ) employees at Rooster’s heard what sounded like something leaking. That’s when Johnson went downstairs to check it out.

Swisher says a carbonation machine that puts the fizz into the restaurant’s pop had malfunctioned and filled the basement with carbon dioxide.

Johnson collapsed when he went into the basement. A co-worker called 911.

Restaurant patrons and employees tried to pull him out, but turned back because they couldn’t breathe. Firefighters had to use breathing tanks while inside the restaurant.

Mayo Clinic says Johnson is in serious condition.

___

Information from: KTTC-TV, https://www.kttc.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide