- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 15, 2014

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (AP) - Fairfield fire officials say a man who committed suicide by drinking potassium cyanide prompted a hazardous materials alert that shut part of a neighborhood.

Assistant Fire Chief George Gomola told the Connecticut Post (https://bit.ly/1hH8hnt ) that the unidentified man left a note warning first responders. He locked the house and went to bed before swallowing the poison.

A portion of the neighborhood was shut Monday night, but neighbors were not in danger.

Fairfield police were notified at about 6 p.m., but the identity of the caller was not disclosed.

Friends who were concerned they hadn’t heard from the man found the house locked.

Gemola and Assistant Police Chief Chris Lyddy said first responders called for support from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection’s hazardous materials team.


Information from: Connecticut Post, https://www.connpost.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide