- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 15, 2014

HUTCHINSON, Kan. (AP) - A loud boom that startled some residents in south-central Kansas was caused when damaged fireworks that were being destroyed exploded.

Steve Showalter, owner of Showalter Fireworks, says employees placed three or four damaged fireworks in a burn pit early Tuesday, and they all went off at the same time.

The Hutchinson News reports (https://bit.ly/1n9CoGd ) the boom from about a pound of black powder in the fireworks caused houses to shake and set off residential alarms, prompting several 911 calls to Hutchinson police and other agencies.

Showalter says his business has used the same method to destroy damaged fireworks for years and no one was ever in danger. He says the lack of wind and high humidity were good conditions for carrying the sound from the explosion.

___

Information from: The Hutchinson (Kan.) News, https://www.hutchnews.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide