- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 15, 2014

SALEM, S.D. (AP) - A Hutterite colony in southeastern South Dakota is dealing with the loss of about 600 hogs in a weekend fire.

McCook County Emergency Manager Brad Stiefvater tells The Daily Republic newspaper (https://bit.ly/1qDzk4n ) that the animals died of smoke inhalation when a fire started in a hog barn at the Golden View Hutterite Colony on Saturday afternoon. He says embers from a nearby burn pit likely were sucked into a vent and started the fire in the ceiling of the 5,600-square-foot barn.

Stiefvater says some of the surviving hogs might die later if they develop complications from smoke inhalation.


Information from: The Daily Republic, https://www.mitchellrepublic.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide