- Associated Press - Thursday, April 17, 2014

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - A southwest Idaho man has pleaded guilty to five crimes committed during a drug-fueled rampage that left two men hospitalized and others injured.

The Idaho Statesman reports (https://bit.ly/1r2phEu) in a story on Thursday that 23-year-old Sean D. Carnell agreed to a plea deal last month.

He appeared in 4th District Court on Wednesday concerning a mental health evaluation carried out by the defense that could be a factor in his sentencing, which is scheduled June 6.

Ada County Deputy Prosecutor Shelley Akamatsu asked Judge Richard Greenwood to order the defense to release the psychologist’s notes.

Greenwood denied the request but said the prosecution has the right to have its own psychologist interview Carnell. Greenwood gave defense attorney Eric Rolfsen a week to decide if the prosecution doctor can speak with Carnell.

Greenwood said the defense could decline, but it then wouldn’t be allowed to introduce evidence from its evaluation.

Carnell has said he was high on a mixture of meth and possibly bath salts at the time of the attacks.

Authorities say that over a two-hour span on Aug. 22 in Meridian, Carnell kicked a dog, punched a teen, beat up a construction worker with a shovel, tipped over a man in a wheelchair, tried to strangle a 36-year-old woman, broke windows in a house and set fire to his apartment.

He pleaded guilty to robbery, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, battery with intent to commit a serious felony and first-degree arson. The robbery charge carries a sentence of up to life in prison. Five other charges were dismissed.

While in high school, Carnell had been a promising cornerback for the Capital High School football team in Boise, and was approached by his coaches about becoming a role model for younger players.

But the summer before his junior year, he was involved in a serious vehicle crash when a pickup truck driven by a teammate crashed and rolled. Carnell was dragged 30 feet and pinned underneath.

He was taken to Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center, where doctors inserted a titanium plate around his left eye. Carnell also suffered injuries to his arms and legs. He never played football or any other high school sport again.


Information from: Idaho Statesman, https://www.idahostatesman.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide