- Associated Press - Saturday, April 19, 2014

MALAD CITY, Idaho (AP) - Officials say a worker was injured when a flash fire ignited at a Malad City white pumice extraction and refining facility.

The Idaho State Journal reports (https://bit.ly/1nyQgr6 ) the worker received second-degree burns late Thursday at the Hess Pumice plant and was flown to a Salt Lake City hospital.

A vaporizer that converts liquid propane into vapor had a small leak and caused the brief but intense fire.

The worker was in a three-man crew about to leave the plant. The other two men were uninjured.

General manager Brad Hess says the worker is coherent and talking. He is expected to be released Saturday.

Hess says a safety valve popped off, causing the propane leak. He says the accident could have been a lot worse.

The Malad Fire Department is investigating.


Information from: Idaho State Journal, https://www.journalnet.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide