INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - - Aug. 21, 2008 - Huston initiates talks with Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corp. about purchase of TelePresence videoconferencing equipment from Cisco.
- January 2009 - Huston leaves Cisco to become new schools Superintendent Tony Bennett’s chief of staff.
- Feb. 16, 2009 - A worker at Cisco alerts the contractor working on the Evansville TelePresence purchase that Huston no longer works for Cisco. (https://apne.ws/1oZL79B )
- Feb. 18, 2009 - Huston schedules a meeting with Bennett and Cisco’s top executive on government sales, Senior Vice President Bruce Klein.
- November 2009-March 2010 - Huston has regular lunch meetings with Cisco sales staff. (Huston says the meetings were with friends from Cisco.) (https://apne.ws/VEQEM5 , https://apne.ws/1qqjyrg , https://apne.ws/VFzVaX )
- Nov. 12, 2010 - Huston asks Indiana’s inspector general for an informal opinion on whether his return to work at Cisco would raise ethical concerns. He states that he had no dealings with Cisco purchases while working for the state and will not be involved in DOE contracts after returning to Cisco. (https://apne.ws/1tlTNMX )
- Nov. 16, 2010 - State ethics lawyer Todd Shumaker notifies Huston he is cleared to return to Cisco but notes that the state’s “particular matter” law bars any work on contracts between the state and his future employer for life.
- Dec. 3, 2010 - Huston leaves work at the Indiana Department of Education.
- Dec. 6, 2010 - Huston rejoins Cisco.
- December 2010-November 2012 - Huston continues advising top DOE staff on policy matters, including discussions of how to handle school grading changes in 2012. He also continues working as Bennett’s chief political adviser. Huston says he adhered to a one-year “cooling off” period he believed applied and avoided work with IDOE.
- Jan. 18, 2011 - Huston requests a meeting with then-Louisiana School Superintendent Paul Pastorek to discuss both Cisco sales and Indiana education policy. Huston later said that request was an “error in judgment”. (https://apne.ws/1odIaSI )
- April 19, 2012 - Bennett heads to Cisco’s Carmel office for a TelePresence meeting with Florida state officials and U.S. Department of Education officials regarding a standardized test approved for national Common Core standards. (https://apne.ws/VFztJW )
- May 2, 2012 - Huston and other Cisco salesmen schedule a meeting with Bennett chief of staff Heather Neal and other top DOE officials. (https://apne.ws/1peyUmA )
- May 29, 2012 - Huston is included with a small group of DOE staff and Cisco salesmen on a “TelePresence demo” at Cisco’s Carmel office. (https://apne.ws/1AydkNq )
- July 12, 2012 - Huston is included in a conference call with DOE staff and Cisco salesmen to “review preliminary Cisco video proposal.” (https://apne.ws/VFztJW )
- July 31, 2012 - A “quantity purchase agreement” (QPA) is approved for the $1.7 million TelePresence purchase. (https://apne.ws/1qqi9Bg )
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.