- The Washington Times - Friday, August 29, 2014

The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals issued a warning for residents this week after confirming the presence of a microscopic brain-eating amoeba in the water system of St. John the Baptist Parish.

The amoeba is deadly and causes a deadly form of meningitis, ABC News reported.

The water is still safe to drink, health officials assured. Rather, the amoeba travels up through the nose into the brain, so officials are warning residents to be careful while swimming, ABC News reported.

The water system where the amoeba was discovered provides for 12,577 people, the news outlet reported.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide