- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 10, 2014

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A former resident of the Iowa Juvenile Home has filed a federal lawsuit claiming he was continually placed in solitary confinement.

The Des Moines Register reports (https://dmreg.co/1BzntfQ ) 18-year-old JaQuan Bradford and his attorneys filed the civil rights complaint Tuesday. It names eight defendants, including the director of the Iowa Department of Human Services.

Bradford was 12 when he arrived at the facility in Toledo. He claims his time in isolation affected his development into adulthood. The lawsuit also says Bradford was the victim of “cruel and unusual punishment” during his two years at the center because of the confinement.

DHS spokeswoman Amy Lorentzen McCoy says the department doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

The Iowa Juvenile Home was closed earlier this year after questions were raised about the treatment of teenagers.

___

Information from: The Des Moines Register, https://www.desmoinesregister.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide