- The Washington Times - Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sen. Marco Rubio on Sunday said “as many Americans as possible” should see “The Interview” as part of the broader U.S. response to a terrorist cyberattack by North Korea.

Speaking on “Face the Nation” on CBS, the Florida Republican said Sony Pictures should either find a way to release the film via streaming video services or movie theaters should reverse course and agree to show it.

“I think it’s important that that movie be played, that that movie be seen. I don’t even know if it’s a good movie, but I think it is now important that we figure out a way to get that out there so Americans can watch it,” Mr. Rubio said. “It is unacceptable that this attack not just on our country, not just on a business located in America but on our constitutional freedoms [happened]. If it is unresponded to, if it stays the way it is now, it is going to be an incentive for others to do the exact same thing in the future.”

Sony scrapped plans for the Christmas Day release of the movie amid terrorist threats from North Korea, which previously hacked into Sony’s private servers. The film depicts the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

President Obama said he believes Sony made a mistake in not releasing the film, but the company says it had no choice after movie theater chains refused to show it.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide