- The Washington Times - Saturday, December 6, 2014

The New York City policeman who fatally shot an unarmed black man in a housing project did not tell his boss or a 911 operator about the incident for more than six minutes, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

But as Akai Gurley lay dying, the cops were busy texting their union representative in those vital moments, the paper reported, citing unnamed sources.

During that Nov. 20 incident, according to the Daily News, officers Peter Liang and Shaun Landau did not respond to calls from both their commanding officer and from an emergency operator who had just taken a 911 call from a neighbor in the Brooklyn housing development who had heard the commotion.

“That’s showing negligence,” a law enforcement source told the Daily News about texting their union rep before seeking help from other policemen or medical personnel. “The guy is dying and you still haven’t called it in?”

In addition, the text messages showed that Officer Liang, who fired the single fatal shot in a darkened stairwell, and Officer Landau didn’t even know the building’s exact address.

The two men were not supposed to be doing a patrol in the stairways of the Louis Pink Houses, according to the Daily News sources, who said Deputy Inspector Miguel Iglesias disliked “vertical” patrols and preferred that his officers patrol outside the housing-project’s buildings.

One of the sources told the Daily News that when the commander learned of the shooting, he flew into a rage, saying “I told them not to do verticals.”
Gurley’s burial was scheduled for Saturday.

The Daily News report comes in the immediate wake of a Staten Island grand jury’s refusal to indict Officer Daniel Pantaleo on any charges in the videotaped chokehold death of Eric Garner, prompting several days of nationwide demonstrations in New York and around the country.

Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson is expected to present evidence to a grand jury in the Gurley shooting this month.

Neither the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office nor the NYPD had any immediate comment.

The shooting occurred Nov. 20 in a stairwell that was dark because its lights, which the New York City Housing Authority had been asked to fix months earlier, were still broken. According to the Daily News, they were fixed a few hours after the fatal shooting.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide