- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 25, 2014

LIVINGSTON, La. (AP) - The case against a 33-year-old man accused of negligently hitting and killing a 6-year-old boy in 2012 while talking on a cellphone has been continued for a second time.

State District Judge Bob Morrison agreed Tuesday to continue the trial to give the defense more time to review a toxicologist’s report that defense attorneys said they first received last week.

Brad Welch, of Watson, is on trial in the death of Tyler Myers, the son of Welch’s neighbors, Jamie and Ericka Myers.

Welch is accused of running over the boy as he turned his car into his driveway Sept. 24, 2012. Deputies have said Welch was talking on his cellphone and did not see the child riding a scooter on a sidewalk that crosses the driveway.

The boy later died at a hospital.

The Advocate reports (https://bit.ly/1fnIeuA ) Welch’s trial began Jan. 17 but was continued until Tuesday to give the prosecution’s toxicologist, Jimmy Barnhill, of Shreveport, time to schedule his appearance in the trial.

Morrison said no date has been set for the trial to resume.

Defense attorney Michael Thiel told the judge he also wants to schedule an expert witness to rebut the prosecution’s toxicologist’s testimony.

Welch was not cited initially in the accident, but Livingston Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested him on a count of negligent homicide Oct. 10, 2012, after determining Welch did not see the boy because he was distracted by talking on his cellphone.

Welch is free on $25,000 bail.

A Livingston Parish grand jury declined to indict Welch in January 2013, but the 21st Judicial District Attorney’s Office filed charges against him about a month later.

Prosecutors claim Welch was talking on a cellphone as he pulled into his driveway and was too distracted to see the 6-year-old boy.

___

Information from: The Advocate, https://theadvocate.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide