- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 4, 2014

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Police released Tuesday an abusive, profanity-laced 911 recording linked to the address of a 9-year-old Albuquerque boy who was found dead six months later.

On a more than 20-minute call recorded June 2013, a male is heard talking and yelling at someone named “Omaree.” A woman’s is also heard screaming as a child cries in the background.

In one exchange laced with expletives, the male says he is having a nervous breakdown. “You make everybody sick around you, Omaree. Everybody. You make me and your mom (expletive) sick, man. I (expletive) can’t stand you Omaree, my Lord,” the unidentified male said.

Albuquerque police later traced the call to the same site where Omaree Varela, 9, later would be found dead in December. The call sounds as it is coming from a cellphone in a car and later appears to end at a home.

Synthia Varela-Casaus, 38, was indicted on several charges last month after police say she repeatedly kicked the boy, resulting in his death. She faces one count of child abuse resulting in death, five counts of child abuse and one count of tampering with evidence.

Varela-Casaus initially told police her son injured himself falling off of a bouncing toy horse. She later admitted to getting angry and kicking the child.

Albuquerque police officers were dispatched to the home in June, but no report was written, authorities said.

The 911 recording was released after requests made by media outlets. Authorities have not said if investigators are trying to link the 911 call to the investigation or if investigators are trying to determine who made the call.

Police said they could not say if it was the voice of Omaree Varela on the recording.

The 9-year-old’s death sparked concerns over staffing levels at the Children, Youth and Families Department, a state agency that investigates child abuse allegations.

Police investigators said documents indicated Omaree Varela disclosed previous abuse to school officials about a year before his death.

The report was investigated by the state agency, but officials there have said they did not have any active cases involving the family at the time of the boy’s death.

Police have said school officials reported the disclosure to police and that police investigators consulted the District Attorney’s Office and state child-welfare officials.


Follow Russell Contreras on Twitter at https://twitter.com/russcontreras



Click to Read More

Click to Hide