- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 4, 2014

MILTON, Vt. (AP) - Firefighters in the Vermont town of Milton say a carelessly discarded cigarette is to blame for a house fire in which all seven people inside escaped.

Firefighters they responded to the fire at about 10:15 p.m. Monday. They said the occupants were alerted to the fire in the basement when smoke detectors began sounding. No one was hurt.

The fire department was able to extinguish the fire and contain the majority of the fire damage to the basement.

Damages are estimated in excess of $15,000.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide