- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 5, 2014

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Illinois health officials are warning consumers who bought buffalo fish from a suburban Chicago market not to eat it.

The Illinois Department of Public Health announced Tuesday that two people who ate buffalo fish from Fresh Farms International Market in Niles are hospitalized with suspected cases of Haff disease. That’s caused by a toxin linked to buffalo fish, a bottom-feeding species found in the Mississippi River or its tributaries.

Symptoms generally appear within six to 21 hours after eating fish and commonly include severe muscle pain, stiffness and brown urine. Acute kidney failure may be a complication.

The health department says symptoms typically resolve within two to three days. Cases rarely are fatal, and anyone who ate the fish and feels sick should seek care.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide