- Associated Press - Friday, February 7, 2014

ABERDEEN, S.D. (AP) - An Aberdeen man accused in a shooting that wounded a woman has gotten a break on his bond.

Bond for 30-year-old Diego Ortiz Mendez had been set earlier at $50,000 cash or surety. The American News reports (https://bit.ly/1gSRMFg ) that Magistrate Judge Mark Anderson changed it to a personal recognizance bond, and Mendez has been released from jail.

Authorities allege that Mendez fired a shot that hit Whitney Schaunaman in the neck about 2 a.m. on Jan. 25. She was treated at a hospital and released the same day.

Mendez has said he was being attacked and fired a warning shot. He has said he is not guilty but he hasn’t yet formally entered a plea to charges of aggravated assault and reckless discharge of a firearm.

___

Information from: Aberdeen American News, https://www.aberdeennews.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide