- Associated Press - Wednesday, January 15, 2014

CAMANO ISLAND, Wash. (AP) - A fire official says a leaking canister of chlorine gas was safely capped overnight and most neighbors of a Camano Island home who had been evacuated were allowed to return Wednesday morning.

The Camano Island Fire and Rescue assistant chief, Levon Yengoyan, also says 8 people were treated for breathing difficulties at Skagit Valley Hospital in Mount Vernon. Three or four more were evaluated by medics at the scene.

About four-dozen people were evacuated because of the strong odor of bleach. About a dozen stayed at a temporary shelter.

The leak was caused by a man who cut into a 4-foot cylinder he planned to salvage. A hazardous material team was called to cap the leak.

Yengoyan says the state Ecology Department and Environmental Protection Agency are monitoring the cylinder.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide