- Associated Press - Monday, January 27, 2014

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - The case against a Nebraska man accused of killing his girlfriend’s father and cutting up the body will move forward.

A judge decided Monday that there was enough evidence for a trial in John Moniz’s case, KETV reported (https://bit.ly/1lhUSo1 ). He is charged with first-degree murder, possessing stolen property and failing to register as a sex offender.

Prosecutors said Moniz, 35, killed 52-year-old Delbert Freemont Jr., whose torso and legs were found Dec. 9 in a Washington County ravine just north of Omaha.

Authorities found significant blood spatters on the ceiling and walls of Freemont’s home, and tests confirmed the blood belonged to Freemont. Moniz and his girlfriend had been living with Freemont until shortly before his death.

Moniz is being held without bond. His attorney did not immediately respond to a message Monday afternoon.

Another man is charged with being an accessory after the killing. Moniz and his girlfriend moved in with that man around Thanksgiving.

Defense attorneys argued during Monday’s hearing that the killing wasn’t premeditated, but prosecutors said evidence about other injuries to the victim suggest the killing was planned.

When Moniz was arrested on Dec. 20, authorities say he was driving a stolen vehicle.

___

Information from: KETV-TV, https://www.ketv.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide