- Associated Press - Thursday, January 30, 2014

KEARNEY, Neb. (AP) - A jury has acquitted a man of a first-degree assault charge in connection with the severe beating of a Kearney man last year.

A Buffalo County judge read the not guilty verdict Wednesday for 29-year-old Jonathan Schmidt.

Schmidt was accused of helping to pull Jacob Magee out of a van last July. Prosecutors said Schmidt beat Magee and stomped on his head. He was later treated for injuries that included facial fractures and a broken nose.

The Kearny Hub reports (https://bit.ly/1ejYhNL ) Schmidt testified during his trial that he hit a man in the face during the incident, which involved several people. But he denied causing Magee’s injuries.

Schmidt’s public defender, John Marsh of Kearney, says the prosecution had trouble proving who caused Magee’s injuries.

___

Information from: Kearney Hub, https://www.kearneyhub.com/


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide