- Associated Press - Thursday, January 30, 2014

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - A 55-year-old man who was a teenager when he stabbed a little boy to death in northeast Nebraska more than 40 years ago has been paroled for a third time.

Antonio Laravie’s parole was approved Wednesday on a 3-2 vote by the Nebraska Parole Board in Lincoln, Lincoln television station KLKN said (https://bit.ly/1dQwDU2 ).

Laravie was convicted of second-degree murder in the August 1973 death of 2-year-old Chad Wilson in Niobrara. Laravie was sentenced to 35 years to life in prison.

He’s been paroled twice but was sent back to prison each time for drug and alcohol violations and for not complying with travel restrictions.

Laravie says he’s a changed man and has completed several drug and alcohol programs.

“In terms of who I was when I was 15 years old and who I am now at age 55, it’s a vast, vast difference,” Laravie said at Wednesday’s hearing.

Chad’s mother said Laravie should remain behind bars.

Antonio Laravie was responsible for my son’s death,” Denise Wilson said. “I’m asking you to consider the fact that Mr. Laravie committed a heinous crime.”

Court records say Laravie, originally from South Dakota, started drinking with friends and relatives at a nearby house on Aug. 17, 1973. Around 4 a.m. the next day he left, reportedly to make a phone call. But instead he stopped at a house less than two blocks away.

The records say Laravie entered through a screen door, picked up a knife in the kitchen and went to a bedroom. Chad woke up, and Laravie put one hand on the boy’s mouth and stabbed him twice in the chest.

His mother, who was nine months pregnant at the time, has said she heard what sounded like footsteps. She went to Chad’s room and saw a person standing over Chad’s bed. The boy already had been attacked.

Denise Wilson said her husband chased the intruder from the house. Then they picked up Chad and started driving to a doctor in Verdigre, 18 miles away. Wilson said she was holding her son when he died.

Members of the Parole Board told Laravie on Wednesday not to violate his parole, or he’d be back in prison for a long time. He assured them he’d follow his parole conditions and that he would take complete responsibility for his actions.

Board member James Pearson asked Laravie how he felt.

“Sad for Chad’s family,” Laravie replied.


Information from: KLKN-TV, https://www.klkntv.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide