- Associated Press - Friday, January 31, 2014

BILOXI, Miss. (AP) - Biloxi City Council members said they are unhappy with the progress of the massive project to repair or replace water, sewer and drainage damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

The Sun Herald reports (https://bit.ly/1dS1uj2 ) the council voted this week not to pay the latest invoice from HNTB, the company hired to oversee the work.

Marvin Dallas Rosa with HNTB said one of the largest contracts on the Coast will be advertised for bids next week. It’s estimated the contract to repair or replace infrastructure in East Biloxi will be $120 million.

“We’ve got some big contractors already looking at that work,” he said.

The contract for work south of the tracks will follow in three to four months. He said the work on both will take three years and cost more than $200 million.

Work also will begin soon at Edgewater Park, he said, but will be preceded by public meetings.

Councilman George Lawrence asked if the city will run out of money before the HNTB contract is up and the work is done.

David Nichols, the city’s chief administrative officer, said FEMA has cooperated with the city on time extensions for other projects.

The original FEMA timelines were unrealistic, Dalla Rosa said, even if there had been no issues. But there were issues. FEMA held up work for 18 months to inspect the underground PVC pipe and it took much longer than the city expected to get CSX approval for work in the right of way for the railroad tracks.

“Now they know what it’s going to take,” he said of FEMA.

He said FEMA is happy with the work being done and there is no indication from the agency that it won’t fund the project.

“The amount of work being done is substantial,” Dalla Rosa told the council. “You’re doing 50 years of work and you expect it to be done in four years.”

___

Information from: The Sun Herald, https://www.sunherald.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide