- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 12, 2014

HASTINGS, Neb. (AP) - A mother and son charged in the fatal stabbing of a 68-year-old southern Nebraska woman will stand trial separately in the coming months.

Online court records say the trial for Shelley Casterline, 41, is scheduled to begin April 21. The trial of Andrew Casterline, 23, is to begin May 27.

They have pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Virginia Barone on Oct. 4. Her body was found partially covered by boards in her Guide Rock home the next day. An autopsy showed she’d been stabbed twice in the back and 20 times in the chest and torso.

Barone’s son, Ronald Jamilowski, was Shelley Casterline’s live-in boyfriend. Investigators have said Casterline acknowledged that she’d killed Barone after the older woman had made comments that enraged her.

Andrew Casterline told an investigator he’d been present when his mother stabbed Barone. The investigator has said he suspected Andrew Casterline also had stabbed Barone because the young man had cuts on his hands that indicated he had wielded a knife.

The Casterlines were arrested Oct. 5 in Newton, Iowa. Police said the two had been traveling in a sport utility vehicle stolen in Cass County, Neb., earlier that day.

Their trial has been moved from Red Willow County to Hastings in Adams County. Court filings say Shelley Casterline wanted her trial moved because the Webster County Courthouse doesn’t have adequate facilities to accommodate jurors, witnesses and lawyers for a first-degree murder trial.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide