- Associated Press - Tuesday, March 18, 2014

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A former Hells Angels chapter president in Las Vegas and his former club member son were sentenced to prison Tuesday for their roles in a wedding chapel brawl with rival members of the Mongols that left six people injured more than five years ago.

Charles Goldsmith, 57, and Brad Goldsmith, 33, became the second and third men to get prison time in the December 2008 melee at A Special Memory Wedding Chapel.

Their sentencing served as a prelude to an upcoming trial for two other accused Hells Angels members - John Merchant and James Sexey - on charges that include attempted murder, conspiracy and taking part in activities of a criminal gang. Merchant and Sexey could face decades in state prison if they’re convicted. They have pleaded not guilty.

Jeffrey Murray, 52, is already serving two to 10 years after pleading guilty last year to felony coercion with force and battery resulting in substantial bodily harm with a criminal gang enhancement.

The elder Goldsmith, who used the nickname Pee-Wee as chapter chief, was sentenced by Clark County District Court Judge Michael Villani to two to five years. He pleaded guilty last October to felony coercion and battery causing substantial bodily harm with a gang enhancement.

Brad Goldsmith, the groom at the ill-fated wedding ceremony, was sentenced to 16 months to four years for his guilty plea in October to battery causing substantial bodily harm and attempted coercion, without gang enhancements.

Charles Goldsmith’s defense attorney, Andrew Leavitt, said both men are no longer Hells Angels. Brad Goldsmith’s attorney, Thomas Ericsson, didn’t immediately respond to a message.

One other wedding guest, Joseph Gennuso, is due for trial Aug. 18. He denies he is a Hells Angels member.

Seven other men pleaded guilty during recent months to lesser charges. Six have been sentenced to probation. One died last year.

Prosecutors allege Murray, Merchant and Sexey stabbed two Mongols during the brawl that erupted when Mongols arrived for a separate event as the Goldsmith ceremony ended.

The fighting was captured on chapel security videotape.

“It was a fluke that the wedding chapel booked the rival clubs,” Leavitt said.

No one was arrested immediately. Police investigated for more than a year before 13 men were indicted in July 2010.

Defense lawyers said their clients acted in self-defense, believing the Mongols were attacking just three months after the Hells Angels‘ San Francisco chapter president was killed by a Mongols member outside a bar.

Prosecutors took eight accused Hells Angels defendants to trial in 2012, but those proceedings ended in a mistrial after Villani ruled that prosecutors failed to fully disclose to defense attorneys evidence including photographs and documents.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide