- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 19, 2014

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - Officials with the Sioux Falls fire department say a mattress pad that caught on fire at the Macy’s store in the city’s mall forced the store to close for about an hour.

Authorities say Wednesday’s blaze started after the material was pushed up against a fluorescent light. No injuries were reported.

Macy’s employees initially knocked down the fire using an extinguisher. Firefighters removed the mattress pad from the building and ordered shoppers and employees to evacuate the store.

Large fans were set up to clear the smoke from the building and everyone was allowed back inside about an hour later.

Five fire trucks, two support vehicles and 21 firefighters responded to the scene.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide