- Associated Press - Thursday, March 20, 2014

NEW YORK (AP) - Con Edison has made compensation payments to 87 survivors and residents displaced by the fatal building explosion last week in New York City.

The utility says it began making the payments last Thursday, a day after the blast.

This week, federal investigators found a leak in the gas main near one of the two East Harlem apartment buildings that were leveled. Eight people were killed and more than 60 were injured.

Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee says most of the people in the effected buildings have already contacted the utility.

He declined to provide the average amount paid for each person who was injured or lost his or her home.

The payments were made after “one-on-one” meetings with the victims.

The cause of the explosion hasn’t been determined.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide