- Associated Press - Thursday, March 27, 2014

SOMERVILLE, N.J. (AP) - One woman is dead in a fire at a senior citizens housing complex in central New Jersey that forced officials to relocate approximately 175 residents.

Firefighters found 77-year-old Loretta Litchman dead on the living room floor of her third floor apartment at the Somerville Senior Citizens Complex in Somerville Wednesday night.

The Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office says the fire appears to be accidental and started when Litchman was smoking while using oxygen.

Sprinklers helped contain the fire to the apartment. But officials determined the building was uninhabitable because of extensive water damage.

The residents either stayed with relatives or were temporarily housed in hotels.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide