- Associated Press - Thursday, March 27, 2014
Vanska in talks to return to Minnesota Orchestra

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Former Minnesota Orchestra music director Osmo Vanska says he’s in talks with management about a possible return to the award-winning orchestra.

Vanska resigned last fall amid a lockout of the orchestra’s musicians that dragged on for more than a year. The dispute ended in January, when musicians agreed to pay cuts in a new three-year contract.

After the lockout ended, Vanska said orchestra president Michael Henson would have to step down in order for the orchestra to heal. Henson resigned by mutual agreement last week. Vanska tells Minnesota Public Radio (https://bit.ly/1loikPXhttps://bit.ly/1loikPX ) talks about his return started last Saturday.

Vanska will return to the conductor’s podium at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis this weekend to help celebrate the orchestra’s first Grammy win. It will be his first concert with the Minnesota Orchestra since the lockout ended last month.

___

___

Archdiocese gets more time to produce documents

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A judge has given the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and the Diocese of Winona more time to turn over thousands of documents on priests accused of child sexual abuse.

However, Ramsey County Judge John Van de North did not postpone next month’s depositions of Archbishop John Nienstedt and the Rev. Kevin McDonough, former vicar general.

An archdiocese attorney says church officials need more time to review 60,000 pages of documents before providing them to attorneys representing a man who says he was sexually abused by a priest in the mid-1970s.

Minnesota Public Radio News (https://bit.ly/1l8tmGt) reports the judge set a May 30 deadline for both sides to produce all documents. The trial is scheduled for Sept. 22.

The archdiocese says it’s pleased with the outcome of the hearing.

___

Charges: Dad killed son over cable TV dispute

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Prosecutors allege an 84-year-old Maplewood man fatally shot his son in a dispute about installing cable in the family home.

Pang Se Vang is charged with second-degree murder in the death of his 36-year-old son, Chue Vang.

Police were called to the home Monday. Officers found Chue Vang dead in a hallway and Pang Vang bleeding from self-inflicted knife wounds.

According to the complaint, Pang Vang called his pastor that morning and said he was upset that Chue Vang would not pay to install cable in the home.

Charges say Chue Vang opened the bedroom door, said, “Dad!” and was shot once by his father.

___

Minnesota regulators back solar plan

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Minnesota regulators voted 4-0 Thursday to give a tentative go-ahead to a proposed large-scale solar energy project that would generate power for Xcel Energy but also authorized the utility to negotiate deals to meet some of its needs for more power from natural gas.

Edina-based Geronimo Energy wants to build 20 large solar power arrays next to Xcel substations across Minnesota at a cost of $250 million. The 100 megawatts would represent a sevenfold increase in the state’s solar generating capacity.

Environmentalists hailed the Public Utilities Commission’s decision to direct Xcel to negotiate a power purchase agreement with Geronimo Energy. Jessica Tritsch of the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal campaign called it a major win.

“This investment in clean energy means instead of shipping our hard-earned dollars out of state to buy fossil fuels, our money can support our local economy,” Tritch said in a statement.

But the Star Tribune reported (https://strib.mn/1jT6CINhttps://strib.mn/1jT6CIN ) that the PUC also directed Xcel to negotiate power purchase agreements for one or more of three proposed natural gas power projects that have been under consideration.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide