- Associated Press - Thursday, March 27, 2014

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A man whose triple-murder conviction was overturned can sue the state of Oregon for wrongful conviction.

The decision Wednesday from the Oregon Court of Appeals allows Philip Scott Cannon to go forward with a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

The Oregonian reports (https://is.gd/XJDgk0) the appeals court found he had not missed a deadline for the lawsuit as officials previously said.

Cannon was convicted in the 1998 killings of three people on a farm west of Salem. In 2009, he won a new trial. But the Oregon Department of Justice said it lost evidence, including bullets and crime-scene photos.

Prosecutors dropped the case and Cannon was released.

___

Information from: The Oregonian, https://www.oregonlive.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide