- Associated Press - Friday, March 28, 2014

JOLIET, Ill. (AP) - Investigators say a gas leak caused an explosion and fire that destroyed a home earlier this week in the southwest Chicago suburb of Joliet.

Fire Chief Joe Formhals says Monday’s blast was caused by a buildup of natural gas in the home’s basement. The family of seven that lives in the home was not there at the time and no one was injured.

Investigators have not determined which appliance in the basement might have caused the leak.

Crews are working to clear debris from the site.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide