- Associated Press - Saturday, March 29, 2014

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A state inspector says the fire-gutted Younkers building downtown is an asbestos-contaminated site and will require specialized removal.

Tom Wuehr of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources tells The Des Moines Register (https://dmreg.co/1luvo6c) that each of the building’s floors are believed to have had asbestos felt between them, and that the building’s pipes are insulated with the known carcinogen.

Wuehr says it’s unlikely that workers or others downtown have or will be exposed to harmful levels of asbestos. He says the water used to put out the fire would have helped contain the material.

A massive fire swept through the more than century-old building that was being renovated early Saturday morning.

___

Information from: The Des Moines Register, https://www.desmoinesregister.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide