- Associated Press - Monday, March 3, 2014

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - A heat lamp used to keep a pet snake warm is being blamed for a fire that displaced eight people from their multifamily Springfield house.

Fire department spokesman Dennis Leger (LED’-zhuhr) says no one was injured in the Grover Street blaze reported at about 4:45 p.m. Sunday.

Leger tells The Republican (https://bit.ly/MHR1Re ) that the fire started on the top floor of the three-story building when the heat lamp fell over and burned a hole in the floor, spreading to the second floor.

Damage was estimated at $60,000.

The first floor of the building was vacant, but five adults and an infant lived on the third floor and one adult and a child on the second floor.

The snake died.


Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, https://www.masslive.com/news/

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide