- Associated Press - Thursday, March 6, 2014

DERRY, N.H. (AP) - A New Hampshire teenager is being credited for saving his home from a serious fire.

Sixteen-year-old Nathaniel Mejia of Derry was home alone taking a nap Wednesday when he was awakened by smoke detectors. His mother had left a few minutes earlier to pick up other children from school.

When Nathaniel went downstairs, he found a lot of smoke in the kitchen and saw the stove, stove hood and cabinets on fire. He immediately grabbed a kitchen fire extinguisher and put out the flames, opened the windows, took three dogs outside to a family car, and called 911.

The Derry Fire Department said the origin of the fire was the fan motor in the kitchen hood, while the exact cause of the fan failure has yet to be determined.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide