- Associated Press - Sunday, May 11, 2014

OREM, Utah (AP) - Authorities have issued a warning after 4-year-old Orem girl was accidentally strangled by the cord of window blinds.

Police say the girl was found unconscious April 30 in her bedroom after her neck became entangled in the cord. She was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Police say the death remains under investigation, but there are no indications it was anything but accidental.

The girl’s name has not been released.

Orem Department of Public Safety officials urge parents to be aware of the potential hazard.

They say while children can’t be protected from every danger, parents can lessen the risk of such an accident by shortening the cords on blinds and by keeping furniture that children can climb on away from windows.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide